North Tahoe Fire Protection District performs defensible space inspections on behalf of Meeks Bay Fire, to reduce the impact of wildland fires.
This season North Tahoe Fire will perform three types of inspections:
- Free Property Inspections (funded by a grant): Property inspections help residents create defensible space around their homes and structures. The District will provide homeowners with a report of its findings along with educational materials to help them comply with local defensible space requirements. If you are requesting an inspection and are not the homeowner you will need to fill out an Authorized Agent Form.
Please note-Defensible Space Inspections for construction projects are $140.00 and are performed by Fire Prevention Officers. Please visit their Plan Review Page for more information. Do not use this sign-up page for project-related defensible space inspections.
- To schedule a defensible space inspection that does not involve building projects, go to North Tahoe Fire's Defensible Space Inspection Scheduling page. This will allow you to schedule an inspector to meet you onsite for a 30-minute inspection.
- If you have questions, please call their Defensible Space and Chipping Hotline at 530-584-2322.
- Educational Inspections: District staff will walk the neighborhoods and mail the results of their findings to homeowners. Staff will not come on to your property without permission so their surveys will not be complete. Therefore, the inspections are only educational and intended to help you identify defensible space issues that require your attention and give you an opportunity to comply with the law.
- Mandatory Compliance Defensible Space Inspections: Homeowners can expect to receive certified mailings advising them of defensible space action needed to bring their property into compliance with California state law. Homeowners are given a 30 day grace period to complete the necessary improvements. The properties will be re-inspected and homeowners who fail to remedy the violations may face a citation.
- Real Estate Defensible Space Inspection Scheduling